I am a recent Ph.D. graduate in political science (international studies) and specializing in security studies and modeling and simulation. I also hold a BA in political science, German minor, and an MA in international studies.
With computational and formal modeling being my usual modi operandi, my areas of expertise are in nuclear security and radical political protest movements.
- Doctor of Philosophy – International Studies, Old Dominion University, 2019
- Graduate Certificate – Computational Modeling & Simulation, Old Dominion University, 2016
- Master of Arts – Internaitonal Studies, Old Dominion University, 2014
- Bachelor of Arts – Political Science, Old Dominion University, 2012
- Hampton Roads Chamber – Military and Legislative Programs Coordinator, Norfolk, VA, 2019 – Pr.
- Old Dominion University – Teacher, Research Assistant, Norfolk, VA, 2015 – 2019
- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals – Customer Service Assistant, Norfolk, VA, 2007
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (Department of Energy) – Graduate Research Internship Program, Non-Proliferation and National Security, Upton, NY, Summer 2018
NON-PROFIT AND VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
- Graduate Society of International Studies – Student Government Marketing Coordinator, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA, 2016 – 2018
- ForKids – Volunteer, Norfolk, VA, 2015 – 2020
- Operation Smile – Volunteer, Norfolk, VA, 2011
- Virginians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty – Member, Board of Directors, Richmond, VA, 2008 – 2009
- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals – Volunteer, Norfolk, VA, 2007 – 2015
- US Navy – Cryptologic Technologist (Administrative), Norfolk and Virginia Beach, VA, 2004 – 2007
BOOKS AND PUBLICATIONS
- The Messy Nuclear Landscape: Using Fuzzy Cognitive Mapping to Explore Plausible Nuclear Disarmament Scenarios, Old Dominion University, Dissertation, 2019.
- The Ripe Blade (FICTION), 2019.
- “Exploring the Nuclear Safeguards Environment Using Fuzzy Cognitive Mapping,” Dept. of Energy and Brookhaven National Laboratory, Summer 2018.
- Human Torches: The Genesis of Self-immolation in the Sociopolitical Context. Old Dominion University Theses: International Studies, 2014.
- “Radiation Physics in the Social Sciences: A Network Analysis of Problematic Citations in the Dirty Bomb Literature” (pending)
ONLINE MODELS AND SIMULATIONS
- “Nuclear Proliferation according to Waltz V1,” NetLogo User Community Models (2017).
- Weekly ODU Publications (2016 – 2018) – https://issuu.com/ryanmnixon
- LinkedIn Profile – https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryan-nixon-231b0368/
- YouTube Profile – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA_Teuq8tfptOUgHekxLAXA